Poem: There isn't another way

There isn't another way

but there is always
a different thought to have
and a different way
that it can be, even
if it has not changed,
or that is what
I am told, that it can be
different without
it becoming another thing.
I don't understand it,
and I am not certain
I even like it, though
it is meant to be liberating.
I get that.  I understand
the value in being flexible,
in accepting the real
as real, in not being caught
in the trap of needing
a change I cannot create,
in wanting to affect
what is outside
my control.  I get 
that it won't work
and that the best thing
is to be different
myself, but 
I don't want
that to be the answer.
I do not want
to change
what I need
from the world.
Somehow
that seems
as if 
it diminishes me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

Le Guin, Steering The Craft, Chapter Five: Adjectives and Adverbs (Exercise Five, Chastity)