Poem: There isn't another way

There isn't another way

but there is always
a different thought to have
and a different way
that it can be, even
if it has not changed,
or that is what
I am told, that it can be
different without
it becoming another thing.
I don't understand it,
and I am not certain
I even like it, though
it is meant to be liberating.
I get that.  I understand
the value in being flexible,
in accepting the real
as real, in not being caught
in the trap of needing
a change I cannot create,
in wanting to affect
what is outside
my control.  I get 
that it won't work
and that the best thing
is to be different
myself, but 
I don't want
that to be the answer.
I do not want
to change
what I need
from the world.
Somehow
that seems
as if 
it diminishes me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Writer's Notebook, Day Two-Hundred-And-Fifty

A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-Fifty-Nine

Poem: Already Over