Poem: I still need to write the speech

I still need to write the speech

I have stories to tell, I suppose,
but they do not come out
the way I have imagined they would,
and I worry about whether
they mean the things I want to mean
or say too much that I would not wish to say.
It is only that I do not wish to cause you harm
or be inappropriate or unkind
or make a fool of myself.
I know there is a duty
and a purpose and I must fulfill
what is intended, must be
emptied of my own needs.
I am not so good at that, 
but maybe, now I have admitted it,
there will be room
for new possibilities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

Le Guin, Steering The Craft, Chapter Five: Adjectives and Adverbs (Exercise Five, Chastity)