A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-One-Hundred-And-Sixty-Five

I have been thinking a good deal about how to explain why I believe that the type of writing I do is important, and I believe that I am beginning to have a better sense of how to discuss the underlying issues and what the stakes as I perceive them.  For me, it is largely about fighting against limiting and controlling forms of thoughts.  This may seem strange or abstract, but it is not.  Consider that thought is deeply rooted in language, to the point that many theorize that language is an essential part of human cognition as we understand it.  As Orwell pointed out, language is a tool that can be utilized to police and control thought.  By writing within certain conventions, we are providing limits on thinking, as well, and my goal as a writer is to demonstrate that language can move outside those boundaries, for the purpose of helping to break through limits on thinking that are often implicitly followed.  I mean, really, that I am trying to use language to create unexpected experiences for the reader as a way of demonstrating that there are many unexplored paths.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Writer's Notebook, Day Two-Hundred-And-Fifty

A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-Fifty-Nine

Poem: Already Over