A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-One-Hundred-And-Sixty-Four

I feel a bit hesitant to call the piece that I wrote tonight a story.  In many ways it is more similar to an essay, at least in terms of the intent and content, but it is intentionally written in a way that feels very much against that, and I am trying, as well, to imbue it with other elements that are meant to give it a quality that is somewhat akin to a story in terms of the emotionality of the piece.  I tried to create a sort of emotional arch for the reader, though I did it using elements that are kind of subtle and hidden, to make it really more experiential than narrative.  I am certain that I am doing a terrible job of explaining any of this, and that is kind of the point I am making, because that difficulty in describing the work reflects the fact that it doesn't really fit into a lot of the categories and conventions of most writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Writer's Notebook, Day Two-Hundred-And-Fifty

A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-Fifty-Nine

Poem: Already Over