A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-One-Hundred-And-Fifty-Seven

There is a novel by Alain Robbe-Grillet called Jealousy which consists of the same series of images and ideas being repeated in various ways.  It is unclear which of the events described are real and which are imagined, cannot even be certain of when in time the narrator is in relation to the rest, as they could just as easily be imagining what is about to happen at they could be  reflecting back on events that actually occurred.  It is intended to lead the reader into a certain kind of experience, and I can't help but admire it, despite the fact that it isn't a book most people would find interesting or worth reading (I do think it worth mentioning that Robbe-Grillet did have a period of popularity, at one one point, but it faded and his work is not all that commonly read),  I think I might have an idea for a story that I could play with in that format, and it is not simply taking that concept as it has already been used, but adds an extra element to it.  I am not certain if it is really going to work, but I don't know of any way to find out without writing it as best I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Writer's Notebook, Day Two-Hundred-And-Fifty

A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-Fifty-Nine

Poem: Already Over