A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-One-Hundred-And-Forty-Two

I was a bit surprised at the way that the story I was writing worked out tonight.  It was an idea that I had been tossing around for a few days and was still uncertain about, at least in terms of how to start and get it going, but I think I did a decent job of putting it together.  In a way, if I am honest, it is a rather distant and disembodied piece, in a way that reminds me a bit of some of the stories by Borges, which can feel a bit like they are describing a piece he never had a chance to actually work on.  Once I had an idea of how to get myself into it, I really didn't have a great deal of difficulty writing it, but I was kind of surprised by the way it wound up ending.  There is a kind of twist that makes sense to me but which I hadn't really considered, and it is kind a meta-twist, reframing things in a way that is more about the story as a thing the reader is experiencing than it does about the actual events or plot.  It was nothing I had expected or considered and just emerged spontaneously as I was writing, but I can't help wondering how else I might wind up applying this kind of thinking in future stories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Writer's Notebook, Day Two-Hundred-And-Fifty

A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-Fifty-Nine

Poem: Already Over