A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-Ninety-Seven

A great deal of my anxiety around fiction has been more about having an idea for a story than anything else, which I think is somewhat odd, if I consider it for a bit.  What I mean is that the concept for a story is not the thing that makes it work, the writing, the actually bulk of the effort is what matters more.  I can point at numerous works with identical, or nearly so, plots and there will be a great variety in terms of the quality of the work.  I suppose that a large aspect of it is that I feel quite comfortable with writing in general, and that is not something that changes so much when writing fiction instead of something else.  At the same time, I never really concentrated on fiction writing in this way, and so I have never really tried to come up with ideas for stories on the fly.  Now that I am beginning to feel more comfortable about that aspect of the work, I hope it will let me start concentrating on developing more understanding of the craft involved in writing good fiction itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Three Is Coming

Poem: Is He Gone, Now