Poem: You admire the commitment

You admire the commitment

but I am frustrated
with myself for it.  Am not alright
with making the effort,
with continuing
to be so dedicated,
when there is nothing,
no result, or none
that are what I need,
what I am seeking.
It matters to me.
I feel stupid
wasting all this
for nothing,
trying and trying,
and knowing
it is not enough,
is not going to help.
I recognize 
that.  Do not tell me
the commitment
and the effort
must be the reward.
That makes it worse.
If the only thing
is the effort itself,
I wish I had never started.
It is no good.
I can't stop.
To stop would destroy me.
But so will continuing
without reward
for the effort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three