Poem: We were never told the truth before we arrived

We were never told the truth before we arrived

and it was not what we expected,
was not anything good, not for me.
To be honest, it was cruel of them.
I needed to be able to go home
and feel safe there, and wanted there
and a part of things, really a part,
as if it was for us, as if we had been invited
because it was for us.  It wasn't.
We were pushed to the side.
It was the last chance I had
to be there and I was an afterthought.
I have not expressed that.  I kept silent
at the time, which I think was a mistake.
I wish I had been willing to be crueler.
I think it would have helped me
if I had made things as bad for them
and all those people they invited.
I think I should have made it clear
just how much they were hurting me.
Now, I have nothing at all
except bad memories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three