Poem: I waited too long

I waited too long

and things broke
and I can't fix
what is wrong now,
have no way back
to what was before,
but I want 
what can't be
without what was,
without that being fixed.
I need to know a way
to repair things,
to make them right again.
It does not seem
that I am allowed
to want that,
that I am permitted
to even ask
for what I need.
I've been told 
it must be this way,
is this way, is not
going to be otherwise
any longer.  I must
be alright with that,
I am told, must accept it,
must. There isn't another way.
But I can't.  That is the truth.
I won't and can't and don't
and it isn't changing
any more than the rest is.
It is as impossible, is the same
as the rest.  It won't change
and I am not changing, either,
not in those terms, anyhow.
I suppose that means I am doomed.
I can't find another interpretation,
as much as I would like to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three