Poem: I did not tell them

I did not tell them

about the time
you drove off
in the car
that had hit me
as if he was right
to do it.  You were mad
at me for being struck
and drove off with him
as if it were fine,
as if I deserved it.
That is what happened
and you still believe
I was the one
who was wrong,
still think I am the aggressor.
I did not mention it
to your friends
but I wonder
what they would think of you.
I am certain
they would question it,
would, at the least,
change how they think of you
as a mother.  I wonder
why I am hesitant
to be honest
about who you are
with the people
whose opinions
you care about.
Why should I be?
You are so careless
about everything
that involves my wellbeing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three