Poem: I almost forgot

I almost forgot

or that is how it felt,
for a moment, during
the transition.

There was a thought.
That is what I mean.
There was a thought
about other things
and not what I know
was next, not about that
but about after that,
but as what could be next,
as what I would do.

I suppose it is best
to just say
I had a moment
of forgetting, maybe,
or that the routine
was out of my thoughts.
I do not know
why I am interested in it
enough to write this poem,
except that I wanted to write one
and this was easy to grasp,
was ready and present
and already in mind.
Is that the reason?
I hope not,
but it could be.

I mean, if I had forgotten
it might be something, at least,
but all I have done
is say what didn't happen
as if I am still worried
about it as a possibility.
Maybe that is the truth
that I am trying to find here,
something about that fear,
about remaining afraid
even afterwards
when it has been averted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three