A Writer's Notebook, Two-Thousand-And-Four

Last night, Melissa and I went out to a reading by Ross Gay.  I actually first met Ross when I was at Sarah Lawrence as an undergraduate and he was in the MFA writing program.  We used to play softball together in games organized by the poet Thomas Lux who was my advisor and who headed of the poetry department.  Ross was always a very warm and positive presence, as I recall.  He is a large man with a large, joyful presence, and I remember that being true of him even way back in the day.  His recent books have reflected that, with essays focusing on joy and gratitude.

The reading itself was great, and I had a moment to chat with Ross, to reconnect and reflect back on things, albeit briefly.  I do not have many people that I am still in touch with from that period of my life, really, and it meant a great deal to have even just a few moments of reminiscence.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three