A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Nine-Hundred-And-Two

I think that shifting my work to the morning has been good for me, overall, especially since I have been getting up so early lately.  In truth, I think that the main reason I am getting up so early is just that I haven't been up quite as late, since I'm not sitting at the computer into the wee hours trying to get through with my writing.  I don't sleep very much at the best of times and rarely can sleep more than five or six hours at most.  Often, even that is asking a lot, I think.  I do think that working in the morning has been good for me, though, even beyond my getting to bed at a more reasonable hour, though I suspect that there are advantages to be found either way.  I think that, for example, being tired can help me to step back and let more unconscious thought take over, just because of the tiredness itself, as an automatic byproduct of writing late in the night.  That can be quite impactful and can result in my writing things I never would have under other circumstances.  By the same token, when I am writing in the morning, I am often more energized and more present, which also shifts the work and lets me focus and consider ideas in ways I would not at other times.  I suppose that the ultimate would be to work both in the morning and at night, even if not all the time.  I should be open to adding some evening sessions, on occasion, but I will have to worry that it might disrupt me if I did that.  I rely so much on the inertia of habit and routine to keep me going, it scares me that adding in that kind of variability might end up derailing me entirely.  Probably, that is just a fear and nothing real, but it is enough to make me hesitant at the moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three