A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Ninety-Six

When I was a kid and wanted to learn about chess, my Dad got me a few books on endgames.  I didn't really understand this, as I wanted to learn how to play and wasn't really sure why the thing to learn first was the last part of the game.  I can understand that now, but I didn't then.  In some ways, I think this is similar to where I am, at the moment, in my fiction writing.  Many of the stories just don't have any kind of real ending.  They are premises that trail into mystery, which is an approach and I think can work.  Shaggy dog stories, for example, are valid and can be worth writing.  Kafka certainly made them work, for one.  But I would like to find my way towards doing more than that, even if I also continue writing those kinds of stories.  I have to believe that the fact I am thinking about this is a good sign, is evidence of some progress in my understanding and approach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

Poem: Is He Gone, Now