Poem: There was a kindness to things

There was a kindness to things

and a sense of it going well, being well,
getting better.  The tomorrow I imagined
was one that would be worth living.
It might have been there was truth to it,
or the possibility of things going well,
or it may have been lies.  Maybe
it was nothing and I imagine it,
or remember it this way, now.
It might have been something else.
I cannot be certain.  I know
what I can recall and what I think was true.
I know that I wish it could be different
than it is now, that what was
seemed to suggest a way forward
that was not the way taken.
I wonder at the paths
that remain, if they do remain.
I have not found them,
but what does that prove?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three