Poem: It Is All Aftermath

It Is All Aftermath

What can be done
to make it better?
I do not even know
what better would mean,
not any longer.
It is not enough, maybe?
Better is too low a bar
from where we have sank.
I do not want just that.
But what is enough?
There is a limit.
Some things will not be.
the impossible is a factor.
Things cannot be made right,
not for me, not if you ask 
what things being right would mean.
Anything less seems too little, though.
I do not have answers.  I have not begun
to ask the questions.  I am still here
assessing what is within me,
what I know and thing and feel.
I do not want to be trapped
with the wrong outcomes,
but the right ones
do not seem realistic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three