A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Six-Hundred-And-Twenty-Two

I am missing my dad a lot tonight.  I suppose that is not surprising, considering it is Passover and tonight's Seder included a lot of family traditions.  Even more, I keep thinking about things and how they might be different if he were still alive.  It may just be my own fantasy, and things could have turned out just the same as they are, but I don't think that is true.  There has been a lot that has happened in my family recently, and I feel like my dad would have handled it all very differently.  Certainly, there are things that would probably have worked out the same way, but, even in those cases, I tend to believe my dad would have handled it differently and, even if the end result was the same, I would probably have a different relationship to certain events.  For example, there were some important decisions that were made which I was explicitly kept from knowing about, even though everyone else, including my younger brother, was informed, and I am fairly certain my dad would not have let that happen.  He was a big believer in being fair, and I can't imagine he would let one of us be informed about something important while keeping the other one in the dark intentionally, and, though I would probably still be upset about things, it would be very different if I had been aware at the same time as my brother was.  Of course, the truth is that things would definitely be better if my dad were alive just because he would be alive and that would be better.  I don't need to be certain he would have acted in the right way to know that I miss him and wish he was here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three