A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Six-Hundred-And-Twenty-Six

I have been working hard to make my poetry more honest.  I don't mean by this that I have not been truthful in my writing, rather that I want to be able to be more straightforward and speak of things in a direct and clear way.  It can be difficult to just tell the plain and simple truth of things, especially when those things are emotionally charged.  Sometimes it is a matter of the emotions making it difficult to be clear, or it can be a matter of the ego and the instinct to protect myself, or even the desire to not hurt others I care about.  I am certain that these are not the only reasons, and I suspect I don't really even understand the real ones all that fully.  I know that I am making a lot of progress, at least in some sense, even if I am still struggling towards a greater degree of openness right at the moment.  For a long time, I almost never wrote poems that even tried to tackle personal matters directly, and now I am writing a great deal of poems that are more directly about my own life and which attempt to transparently explore my thoughts and feelings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Three Is Coming

Poem: Is He Gone, Now