A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Five-Hundred-And-Sixty-Two

I think that I was correct when I suggested that the biggest thing holding me back with the novel is just finding time to really focus on it more.  There is beginning to be a bit more momentum in the action, and the comedic tone is starting to really come through, I think.  I know that much of the early work on this piece was kind of floundering, and I am not entirely certain about where or how the book will begin, or even how much of what I have written so far is really going to be part of the final piece, but I am now at a point where I feel more on solid ground with it.  In truth, I suspect much of my uncertainty has been held over from starting in that way, but I think that being more aware of that will be helpful in shifting my attitude.  I also need to recognize that I know what I need to in order to write this story.  When I started, there were a lot of things that still felt nebulous to me about what I was writing and where it was going, but since then I have figured out a lot of the big picture stuff and have a much better sense of the plot.  I feel that, at this point, I am just as prepared as when I wrote my previous novels, but I am still feeling as if I am not right now.  I think it is just, as I said, a holdover from when I was starting, and I think it is starting to shift.  Working on it tonight I felt myself getting into the flow with it.  Really, I just need to focus on keeping myself at it.  I know that, as long as I keep working on it each day, as I have been, I will find my way through to the end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

Le Guin, Steering The Craft, Chapter Five: Adjectives and Adverbs (Exercise Five, Chastity)