A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Five-Hundred-And-Thirty-Six

I have to get myself into a real scene in this novel.  Even now, as I have been getting more towards things with the characters, I haven't really written anything that is truly grounded in a specific event, but it is all still more detached and descriptive.  I need to get into the actual events and I think that will help me to find the way forwards in writing this piece.  It is strange to me that I am having this difficulty, in some ways, as many would say that the writing I am attempting here is less ambitious, but I don't think that is really the truth, I just think it is a bit different than my usual focus.  It is probable that difference is making things harder for me right now, since I am not used to writing this type of fiction, but I think that is only a part of it.  The truth is that I am still just a bit lost about the way to get this piece to work and how exactly to tell the story I want to tell, or even, perhaps, exactly what that story is in some ways.  I have a sense of the major aspects of the story, but I am still struggling to get it into focus.  I still have faith that if I keep going, at some point, I will find my way, otherwise I wouldn't still be showing up to the page each day.  It does not mean it is any less difficult or disconcerting, but I have faith, and I want to believe that this difficulty is actually a positive sign of my having hit on a subject with deep personal resonance, that when I get through these initial barriers, I will have opened the gates on something powerful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three