A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Five-Hundred-And-Forty-Four

I decided to take a little break from working on my larger non-fiction project for tonight and began a new piece, one that I expect will be on the shorter side.  It is about the trend of having animals speak or write in broken and misspelled English.  I have always found this kind of thing a bit upsetting, but it took me a while to really understand my feelings about it.  I used to actually joke about how silly and dumb I thought these jokes were, considering how much more of a task it is to acquire language in the first place than learning to write properly.  It took me a very long while to recognize that, as a person with issues around reading and writing, and as someone who has been mocked and insulted as a result of those difficulties, I cannot help but think that these jokes are ableist.  To me, this is quite apparent, but I am having difficulty with explaining it, probably because it is something that I experience as an intuitive and emotional response, not as anything logical.  For me, the use seems to be a condemnation of the inability to communicate with greater fluency inherent in these pieces, as a reflection of the limited mental capacity of an animal, but is just stating that directly enough to make the point?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Three Is Coming

Poem: Is He Gone, Now