A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Five-Hundred-And-Forty-Three

I have been attempting to research the allegory about the baker's daughter being turned into an owl that Stoker references while discussing the wandering Jew myth.  Shakespeare makes a reference to it with a line from Ophelia in Hamlet, but I haven't yet found much about the original story itself.  Many of the references I find are actually to an alternate version that changes the Jesus figure into a fairy, but the rest remains the same.  I am not certain that researching this is really all that significant, but, then, one thing I know about research is that you can't really tell what you will discover until you get there.  It may be that I am not going to be able to find out much, or it might be that I stumble onto something more.  The truth is that I discovered this entire thing by accident while attempting to investigate a completely different part of my essay, so who knows what might turn up or just how it might be relevant.  I suppose that type of discovery is one of the great joys of research.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three