A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Five-Hundred-And-Forty-Three

I have been attempting to research the allegory about the baker's daughter being turned into an owl that Stoker references while discussing the wandering Jew myth.  Shakespeare makes a reference to it with a line from Ophelia in Hamlet, but I haven't yet found much about the original story itself.  Many of the references I find are actually to an alternate version that changes the Jesus figure into a fairy, but the rest remains the same.  I am not certain that researching this is really all that significant, but, then, one thing I know about research is that you can't really tell what you will discover until you get there.  It may be that I am not going to be able to find out much, or it might be that I stumble onto something more.  The truth is that I discovered this entire thing by accident while attempting to investigate a completely different part of my essay, so who knows what might turn up or just how it might be relevant.  I suppose that type of discovery is one of the great joys of research.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

A Writer's Notebook, Day Thirty-Seven