A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Five-Hundred-And-Forty-One

 I think I have had a real breakthrough in terms of my understanding of the novel I am writing.  There had been certain parts of the structure that weren't quite lining up yet, and a part of that was that I didn't quite know who the villain really was or how to incorporate that person into the story as more of a character.  I was thinking that the individual responsible would be behind the scenes, maybe, or not as significant to the action of the story.  What I was imagining was the main character receiving a sort of medical treatment that was the product of some particular doctor or corporation, but earlier tonight I realized who in the story is behind that and have found a way to add a stronger personal element which will help me to make it work better.  It is a strange revelation in some ways, as I am not certain if it is something that I just came up with, or if I am just catching up with an idea that was already percolating on some level, as it was a result of my considering the work I have already done.  The part of the story I am writing at the moment is in the past and is setting up various aspects of the character's world, but, when I thought about it, I wasn't certain how necessary it would be for the story to work.  It was when I recognized just who the character I am introducing is in terms of the story that I realized why this section is important and came to understand, I think, just how the whole of this story works.  I may be wrong, of course, and it could all shift about again at some point, but that is always the way with these things.  For now, though, I am quite positive.  I had been struggling with writing this piece, and the last few days it started to turn as I drew down and began to explore a specific set of scenes.  Now, I feel like I am really getting a grasp of the piece and how what I am writing fits the larger whole.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three