A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Five-Hundred-And-Forty

I was doing some research for my vampire essay and found a very interesting passage I had not known about previously.  In truth, it was not even what I was looking for, and I only discovered it at random.  Earlier, I was watching a video on the subject of Julie D'Aubigny and it happened to mention that Bram Stoker had written a piece about her in one of his books, and suggested the piece was not sympathetic to her in ways that I found potentially intriguing, and so I sought the book (Stoker's Famous Impostors) on Project Guttenberg.  When I read the passage in question, I was not all that certain it would actually be relevant, though I am planning to go back through it again at some point.  Indeed, I might well have spent more time on that  portion of the text if not for another discovery.  Initially I had not looked closely at the table of contents, but had found the relevant section of the book and skipped to it without considering the rest of the book.  The passage I had first sought out was from a section of the book that focused on women "disguising" themselves to live as men, and I wondered if there might be anything equivalent concerning men taking on female identities.  While it does not appear that this topic is raised, I did discover that the book contains a chapter on "The Wandering Jew," an anti-Semitic myth concerning a Jewish man cursed by Jesus to immortally wander the world until the Second Coming.  I already was well aware of Stoker's interest in this particular story, and a major contention of my work involves the idea that Dracula is a combination of the Wandering Jew myth and the Blood Libel, the claim that Jewish people consume the blood of Christians, often children.  I suppose it is, in some ways, a condemnation of my skills as a researcher that it took me so long to find a chapter in a book with "The Wandering Jew" for a title, but I can't help but perceive the shappenstance by which I stumbled upon this discover, instead, as one of those strange and random paths towards knowledge that falls into line with Jung's notion of the "Library Angel."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three