A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Five-Hundred-And-Thirty-Eight

I did, at last, get into a specific scene in the new novel.  It was not the scene I have been considering, not yet.  I didn't feel ready for that to happen, in terms of the sequence of events I am imagining happening at this point.  I had been offering description and commentary up to this point, but finally I found my way into the specifics.  The scene itself is quite small, just an interaction between the narrator and a receptionist, but I was very pleased with the characterization of the receptionist.  It wasn't anything major or groundbreaking, but I felt like I offered a sense of her as a character, even within this rather trivial scene.  I had been a bit worried about finding my way through this story, and I know that this small triumph does not mean I have resolved all the issues or that it will be smooth sailing from here on out, but I also do not miss that it is still, even if small, a triumph.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three