A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Five-Hundred

I know that I should start writing some different kinds of prose pieces than what I have been working on.  This is not to say that I don't value the work I am currently doing.  I still have strong feelings around the work I've been doing, and the material feels very important to me.  Even so, I recognize that I should be working on some more personal essay type material at the moment.  I feel that would help me in a number of different ways.  For one thing, I believe that it might push me in directions I am not always comfortable going as a writer.  I often don't like to reveal details or specifics and find it hard to talk directly about events in my life.  I think their is a certain amount of fear that comes up for me, if I am honest, and that I feel scared that what I am revealing will cause me harm in some way.  I don't always respond that way, to be certain, and I have a number of poems that are quite revealing, but in general, I find that I get very squeamish about revealing too much.  The best way I can think to overcome that is through confrontation, and I think focusing on some personal essay type material might be good for that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three