A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Four-Hundred-And-Ninety-Nine

Even as I reach towards the ending, this short story keeps surprising me in various ways.  There are all these little twists that come, small shifts in the action and details I had not anticipated.  Right now, the character is musing about things that are happening, imagining an entire reality behind events based on a misinterpretation of what is going on.  I don't really recall how it is that the story got to this place, but I recognize how it fits into the story as a whole and it feels very integral, in a certain way.  In the end, to be clear, this won't, I don't think, lead to anything more, but I think it may well be that aspect of it that becomes significant, in a way.  As I have said before, a large part of what I am trying to do in this story connects to the character not understanding their world and being stuck not knowing what to expect of the world in a very extreme way.  Things turn out fine, but the nature of the reality they are inhabiting has been revealed as utterly alien and strange, and their is no access to a deeper level of understanding.  At this point in the story, the character is observing what is happening and attempting to interpret it through their own knowledge.  The similarities they recognize to things they have seen before offer a possibility for what might be happening, and they grasp onto that, but the truth is that the world they are in plays by different rules and things are not what they think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three