Poem: Do Not Tell Me It Will Be Well

Do Not Tell Me It Will Be Well

I have heard that
so many times. I know:
it is what is said
to placate, to quiet things
until it is too late
for anything to be done.
I have been through it before.
I do not want promises
of what is to come.
That is never anything
but a delay.  It hasn't been true,
not even once.  Maybe
you mean to be different,
but I am certain
of what will happen.
What can you offer
that is more than a promise,
more than words
about what will come?
There is not enough there.
I do not have it in me
to trust in that type of thing again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three