A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Four-Hundred-And-Nineteen

I spent some time earlier today rereading some of my older poems.  Part of this was looking back at the manuscript for a chapbook I would still like to get published, and some was just going through work in order to select some pieces for submissions and other things.  I hadn't gone back to this work in quite some time, and I found it very interesting to look at.  Some of the poems feel so different to me than the work I am doing now.  The themes and ideas remain similar, but I am writing work that feels very different in many ways.  For example, many of my older poems were far more narrative than the newer work tends to be.  I also feel like I am getting a lot more personal in my new work, and am veering towards a more direct approach.  I am certain that I am not through with those other modes of poetry.  Those older poems represent styles of poetry that I have always been fascinated with and I know that I may not be doing that kind of thing right now, but it is still a part of my poetry and will emerge again at some point.  It is just fascinating to realize how different my work has become.  It is always a surprise looking back at those older poems and recognizing the ways in which my poetry has shifted and grown over time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part Three Is Coming

Poem: Is He Gone, Now

A Writer's Notebook, Day Thirty-Seven