Poem: They Came Back This Morning

They Came Back This Morning

They told me, "we are coming inside,"
and I told them it was fine,
though I did not want them here.  Why
would I want them here?
They only move the dust 
from one pile to another
before scattering it again.
But I did not tell them
that they should stay away,
I let them come instead,
let it be.  I do not want
to confront it.  I want
it to change and be better.
I do not think letting them come
is anything good, though.
I do not know what to do.
It is hard to know any longer
what will be a good choice.
It started so long ago
and with so much hope,
and I am lost, as if 
I have wandered off
with no water or shade
and the sun
angry above me.
I am lost and confused
and the piles of dust
are never where they were,
and must be counted again
each night.  I don't know
why I count them.
It is the only thing
I can do.  It is a way
to keep track of something.
I hope
they will not return tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

Le Guin, Steering The Craft, Chapter Five: Adjectives and Adverbs (Exercise Five, Chastity)