Poem: The Need to Understand

The Need to Understand

I cannot tell trees apart
or name the flowers, the bushes,
the birds.  I do not even know,
most of the time, what lake 
or river it is
we are seeing
as we pass them.
I am not attuned
to those things,
am not trained
in that awareness.
It may be
I would enjoy it more
if I had such knowledge,
but I do not 
and do not believe
I possess the skills for it.
I am not good at color or shape,
do not remember patterns well.
I once tried to memorize cloud shapes,
to learn their structures and formations.
It did not stick either.
I still enjoy looking at the sky,
I have learned to do it
without the need to parse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

Le Guin, Steering The Craft, Chapter Five: Adjectives and Adverbs (Exercise Five, Chastity)