Poem: It Is A Lie to Say That Is The Only Thing I Want

It Is A Lie to Say That Is The Only Thing I Want

but it is the only thing I want from you,
the only thing that I want that can make this better.
You ruined it, and I want it fixed, and I know,
I know that is not an option any longer:
too much has been done, too much
cannot be changed now.  It is a different world.
But if you ask me what I want,
I still only have one answer for you,
I still can name nothing else
that will bring redemption
or make it at all better.
You did as you chose,
even though it was all clear.
In truth, I wonder if knowing
it would do so much harm
wasn't part of why 
you found it necessary.
You have said things before
that make me think
that is more true
than you wish to admit,
but still you want forgiveness.
I want to forgive you,
but for that to be possible,
you must find a way.
I do not know
that their are not ways
besides what I have named.
I do not know that the only thing
that will ever make it right
is for it to go back.  I name that
as the only thing because
it is what I know, is what I need
and want.  Maybe those needs
can be met in other ways,
maybe you can change this
in other ways.  I do not know.
You have done nothing
that reflects an understanding
of what would be needed.
You only tell me again
you want to be forgiven
and are sorry
and wish you could take it back.
Find a way, then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three