Poem: I Do Not Know The Man Who Lives in My Neighbor's House

I Do Not Know The Man Who Lives in My Neighbor's House

I do not mean my neighbor,
I mean the man
who lives there with them,
the lodger or son
who parks his car each night
where no overnight parking is allowed.
I have never met him,
have only seen him from a distance
or parking the car.  Even 
when my neighbor is gone,
the man is still here.
I still see his car each night.
I have never met him,
but last night he was mad
and came out to scream over the hedge
about the noise being made.
My friend and I were just talking
in the back yard.  It was not so late,
had just turned to midnight,
but he was irate.  He cursed at us
and ranted that we were too loud,
that he heard us from inside his room.
I told Melissa when I came inside.
We had been beside the window
to the room where she was sitting,
but she heard nothing, she said.
I do not understand these things.
I do not know who he is
or why he was so mad.
I do not want to live in a place
where I am made a villain
because my neighbor
does not have better windows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three