Poem: Contradiction Conversation

Contradiction Conversation

My friend says that people like us
need to learn the power
that exists in contradiction
He means, I think,
believing things
that are not compatible.
I tell him I do understand it,
that I know the power he mentions.
I do.  I am not unaware
that contrasting truths
are often needed, that the world
is not so simple
as to mean one thing
and not the other.  I do know.
But I understand, as well,
the recklessness
he is pointing towards,
the will to a certain dangerous power
that grows and grows,
that holds on
to secret knowing, to the idea
that what is most true
must be what is called a lie
by anyone you choose not to trust.
It is the same as always.
they will say it is no good
that we hold power,
for we are too weak,
are deformed
and cannot be trusted.
I know contradiction,
I should explain it to him,
I suppose, but I suspect
he already understands
despite what he says.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three