Poem: Apology

Apology

I think, perhaps
you mean it
right now,
mean it, really.
I think that is true,
but I am not certain.
I know you
do want to be forgiven,
want it to be gone,
off the slate.  I do not know
if it can be gone.  It is 
what happened.
It is what you did,
what you chose to do.
I do not want it dismissed
as if it is nothing.
Time goes this way.
I want to hear it
as the truth, hear
your apology
and know 
it is the truth,
but even then,
even if it is
clear you mean it,
it does not mean
it did not happen
or is forgotten.
I want to forgive you.
This is a needed step,
but it is only a step.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three