A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Four-Hundred-And-Eight

It is Melissa's birthday today.  We tried to have a nice celebration, but it has been difficult for her.  This is the first birthday since her mother died and she has been quite emotional about that.  I think that she appreciated the things I did for her, the gifts and such she received.  I don't know what I could have done to help with much of this beyond just being present with her.  It isn't as if their is a way to make these things better or easier.  I know how I felt celebrating things after my father died.  Even now, more than half a decade later, it still often hurts.  Still, I wish I could make her feel better.  It is hard to watch one you love experiencing pain; at such times, I feel thaat the only thing to offer is my presence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three