A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Four-Hundred-And-Eight

It is Melissa's birthday today.  We tried to have a nice celebration, but it has been difficult for her.  This is the first birthday since her mother died and she has been quite emotional about that.  I think that she appreciated the things I did for her, the gifts and such she received.  I don't know what I could have done to help with much of this beyond just being present with her.  It isn't as if their is a way to make these things better or easier.  I know how I felt celebrating things after my father died.  Even now, more than half a decade later, it still often hurts.  Still, I wish I could make her feel better.  It is hard to watch one you love experiencing pain; at such times, I feel thaat the only thing to offer is my presence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is this whole blog thing for anyway?

Part Three Is Coming

Le Guin, Steering The Craft, Chapter Five: Adjectives and Adverbs (Exercise Five, Chastity)