A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Three-Hundred-And-Ninety-Two

I had a bit of a breakthrough working on my essay tonight.  I started to have a sense of how to explain one small aspect of the topic in a way that hadn't been clear to me before, and it was kind of a shift in my understanding of my own understanding and thinking.  It is hard to explain without getting into the details, but I don't think it is important to explain for what I am hoping to discuss.  The thing is, I had this breakthrough and as a result it was both easier and harder to write tonight.  On one hand, I had something urgent that I wanted to express.  I had a clear sense of what I was hoping to communicate, and I was ready to get it on the page.  At the same time, though, I was still processing and trying to understand my thoughts.  I think that what I wrote was hindered by the fact that I kept reassessing it, thinking about whether I had hit on what I was really thinking, or if I was still spinning my wheels and not yet there.  It may be that I needed to write this tonight just to get the thoughts into shape and that I will wind up returning to this subject a few times and finding new and better ways to discuss it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three