Poem: There Were Two More Shootings Today

There  Were Two More Shootings Today

Two that I know about, small ones,
and no one died at one of them.
There were only two fatalities
besides the shooter
at the other.  It should not be
qualified this way.  
I do not want to say,
"only two" about the massacred,
or call a shooting "small,"
do not want to be in this place
where it must be determined
how many deaths are needed
before I can stop calling it, "minor."
But who can process it all,
can understand it in their heart.
The pain, the grief already 
it reaches beyond 
what my tears can bare,
to respond as each deserves:
I would be drowned in sorrow,
even more, beyond what I could stand,
I would be drowned in sorrow.
It is no good.  I must fight to keep my heart alive,
must remember: grief is without dimension,
 is always unmeasurable and vast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three