A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Three-Hundred-And-Forty-One

I had my meeting today to discuss my story, as I mentioned in yesterday's entry.  It went quite well, though I do think their are some things I still need to work on in this story, but I had been concerned more that it was just a bit too strange and not truly relatable for most readers.  I don't think that is the case, and in fact think that much of what is best about it comes from following those impulses.  For example, the story is full of long and winding sentences that often repeat the same idea a few times, and I worried that the language in those parts of the story might be too much or a bit self-indulgent, but instead was told to follow those instincts and do more of that, even removing and replacing the more generalized language.  It was very affirming to be told that I could follow that aspect of my voice in the work, and I hope it will help me to feel liberated in writing even more fiction soon, as well as guiding my revision of this story in particular.  I also was very glad to receive a list of potential markets for my work,  Some were places I already knew, but there were some I hadn't considered before, and even some that I knew and had thought about were not places I thought of for this type of work in particular.  Overall, I feel very enthused by the experience and am eager to get going putting what I learned into action.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three