A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Three-Hundred-And-Twenty

I need to start getting myself to work earlier in the day.  I am fine with writing my poems in the evening before I get to bed, but I want to be doing other work as well.  I've got numerous ideas for creative non-fiction pieces, as well as ideas for stories that I want to explore.  I keep struggling, though, at getting myself to work on these things, and a large part of that is that I tend to get distracted and then only get to work on my writing when it is late and I feel I don't have time for anything but writing a few poems.  Don't get me wrong, I am glad to write those poems and don't feel bad doing that each day.  I am writing a lot, even so, and I feel good about a lot of it, as well.  I just know that I want to be doing more than this, and I know I am capable of it.  It is a matter of structure and commitment, probably, as that is what it took for me to get myself to this point with writing poetry each day.  I think the biggest obstacle is that it can be more difficult for me to feel I am making progress with prose, because I am never as certain about the way it will turn out, or if what I am writing will come together in a meaningful way.  With poetry, I have a greater degree of experience, so I trust myself and my process.  I don't always feel that way in other kinds of writing, but I am certain that can change with practice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three