Poem: Danger

Danger

I looked down
and saw a lizard
had come to me,
climbed up 
onto my shoe,
as happens at times,
but he surprised me
and I almost flinched,
almost kicked,
a reflex, unthinking,
movement itself
taking control.
I do not understand it,
do not know why
I was ready
to take that action.
I caught myself,
noticed my action
and stopped it
before anything happened.
I could have harmed it,
launched it far and fast
with just a flick of my foot.
They trust me.
Why do they trust me?
I do not think they should,
but I am sure another will come.
They always seem to.
I sit there and they come to me,
sit on my foot.  I must be careful,
must show care.
They trust me.
That deserves respect,
and I do not wish them harm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three