A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Two-Hundred-And-Thirty

I feel quite good about the poetry I wrote tonight.  As I mentioned, I want to be more playful in my approach, and want to make an effort to write pieces with a certain variety I have felt the lack of.  It can be difficult explaining these things, but I have felt that my work was stuck and in a bit of a rut, which is not all that strange, considering that I have felt that same way about things in my life in a more general sense, and my work is often, by necessity, a reflection of other things that are occurring in my life.  It can be hard to find new things to write when my mind is obsessing over the same problems all the time, and I have been pretty much stuck in that kind of mental pattern for a while now, despite my efforts to work through it.  I know it is not a good place to be, but it is not always simple to change such things, but I don't want to go down that path again right now.  I know I do not have answers and that explaining what is bothering me will only lead me back into attempting to think myself out of those loops, as I have tried to do so many times, and I know it is not going to work any better this time.  The thing is, tonight I was able to push a lot of that aside in my writing, and was able to get some work that I felt pretty good about and which didn't seem to be the same.  It wasn't that I was avoiding any of the emotions I am discussing, or even that I wasn't talking about many of the same subjects, but it was a matter of approach.  The pieces came from a different perspective and were less self-interested, in some ways.  I don't know that I can rely on my work being this way going forward, at least not always, but I know it is possible, that I can find this in me, and I am inclined to believe that I can, if I pay attention, choose to focus on moving in that direction more often.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three