A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Two-Hundred-And-Twenty-Six

I've been working on a new query letter for my novel, as I have alluded to in a few previous posts.  I'm starting to get a stronger idea of how to pitch it, but I am a bit conflicted about some of it.  For instance, I recognize that a great deal of what drove me in creating it, even if not in a way I was aware of, is related to my experience as a person who is not neuro-typical.  In essence, their is a degree to which I recognize that the normal approach of encoding meaning within language, the typical ways we create meaning with our words, serve to depict a certain "normal" range of experiences.  Though the issue of neurodiversity isn't directly discussed in the book, I can't deny that the way the story is told is intended to depict a different type of experience, and to demonstrate the possibility for language to carry other kinds and layers of meaning.  While I believe that those aspects of the book are important, and are also some of what makes it special, I know it is much more difficult to explain these things, and that it could easily be misinterpreted or dismissed.  For example, as a person who understands magic and mentalism, and who is adept with certain kinds of language trickery, I wove some illusions into the text, so that the reader will have some experiences as if the book knows what they are thinking.  I know, from those who have read the book, that this aspect of the novel works, at least for some readers, but I also recognize that it sounds utterly ridiculous and silly.  I can easily imagine it being taken as the claim of a crazy person, and the work being dismissed out of hand.  I recognize the importance of conveying these more experiential aspects of the book, but I am not certain how I can do that in a way that doesn't stretch into a realm of seeming incredulity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three