A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-Two-Hundred-And-Nineteen

I have been thinking a great deal about my first novel and how to update my query, in particular the portion describing the book itself, and I think I am getting close.  I realized that, on one level, the plot can be summed up as falling into the "be careful what you wish for" category of story.  The main character is a writer struggling to come up with an idea for a novel.  During a strangely vivid dream, he encounters a book which he is tasked to write, but as he proceeds, he has to wonder who or what is behind the dreams, and why they want the book to be written, what it is they wish to bring into our world.  As the book continues, even the reader is lead to wonder what dangers might be waiting when it is finally finished.  There is a great deal more to a pitch, and it is important, I think, to stress the unusual qualities of the book, but this feels like a massive improvement on other approaches I've taken, simplifying it into something that is more coherent.  I had to accept that the goal is not to really capture the whole of the story, but to provide enough information for an agent to have an idea of the book, and, one hopes, is intrigued to learn more.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three