Poem: You Knew The Harm

You Knew The Harm

but acted anyway,
did as you wished,
though it was betrayal.

You had your wants,
did not care at all
about the promise made,

You made a choice,
and now, 
you want forgiveness,
but it remains true,

the act remains,
the harm done
by what you chose
is still an open wound

and you cannot close it
by running away:
it cannot be undone.

If you wish to fix it,
I have no answer.

I want it fixed too,
want it to be better.
But it is a fact, now,
is the world's:

we haven't a choice
to make it right,
though it remaining
is too much.

I want to forgive,
but for that to happen
things must change,
must be made better,
be made right.

I do not know how.
I want it to be better,
but I can't trust you again
until you fix
what you have broken,
but I believe not to be a thing
that can be repaired.

Still, I am here with you,
so maybe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three