Poem: What Has Been Done

What Has Been Done

We can agree these things have happened,
are both aware that what has been done
is, cannot become a thing that is not:
more may be done, but that is all,
there is no way to undo these acts.
We agree: it has happened, is done,
cannot be reversed.  Yes, we agree,
only, you think that is a reason
I must accept it and say it is fine.
You knew.  It was not unspoken,
was not a secret.  You knew,
were told what it would mean,
and I think, I cannot help thinking,
that was a reason for it, was a part.
You harmed me, though I asked you,
though it had been spoken of,
you chose to do harm.  Now,
the harm has come, is here:
it did not end, has not abated.
It is here, is real, cannot be unmade,
cannot be taken away, is not different.
And because it cannot be made better,
because it has not been made better,
you think that is a good reason
for me to say this was all fine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three