Poem: If You Want to Fix This

If You Want to Fix This

to repair
the damage
you've done,
it requires
restoring
what is gone,
but what is gone
was a chance
to build, to make,
to prepare,
and it is gone.
To fix it,
I need back
what you destroyed,
what would have been
that is not possible now.
If you want to say you care,
if you want to pretend
it was a mistake
you mean to fix,
if any of that
is what you want,
if your words
are not lies
told now
when it is too late,
if you want intend to act,
the act that is needed
is one I cannot imagine.
I can tell you what I need,
but not how to achieve it,
and you will do nothing,
will say I am impossible,
but you made this,
you chose to make this.
It was clear what would come,
it was not a secret.  You knew,
but now, it is done,
and you want to be forgiven.
You want me to live with it,
these consequences that cage me,
that each day remain upon me,
you want to do nothing
to relieve me from it,
but I should forgive you,
yes, I should say it is alright,
should give you a pass
on ruining so much,
though it remains ruined,
worsens, for me, daily,
because it was done
and you do not know
what to do. 
I should say
it was fine
so you 
can feel better
without worrying
or making an effort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three