Poem: I Caught Myself Soon Enough

I Caught Myself Soon Enough

that I did stray too far,
and now I am returned
to the intended course,
am back on task, again,
diligent, dutiful, dedicated,
all those things and more,
but just for now, just because
I know it must be done,
or should be done,
is due to be done,
is my chosen task,
is what I promised myself
I would do, would finish.
I don't know if it matters.
I want it to matter,
but I am not certain.
It matters to me.
I wish that could be enough.
I am doing it, am dedicated to it,
but maybe that is a waste.
I don't want this time
to be only an indulgence,
to be stealing away from the world
for what only matters to me.
I don't want to be that selfish,
but I know I am here.
It would be no good
to not be here, to stop.
I know that would harm me,
though it is not any good to go on
with any of this
if it is only for myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three