A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Forty-Six

I used my insights from yesterday to push myself into work again tonight, and it worked quite well.  Even more, I feel as if the work itself was valuable.  I don't mean that I am certain the poems are good, rather that I felt I was doing something real, was reaching towards new ideas.  So much of the time I feel stuck inside my own small world, even when I am writing poetry.  It is natural to focus on the things that are happening, that are part of daily existence, and to want to vent about frustrations or problems that are ongoing, and that is not an invalid source for poetry, but I often want to reach for other ideas as well.  It can be, of course, that both happen at once, that the personal connects to those other themes, and that is generally what I hope for when I write, that something small can become a symbol or a way in towards another matter.  I don't know if that is exactly what happened tonight, though it did feel that some of the poems began with an intent to express something minor and instead moved into a wholly different space.  I think, as I said yesterday, this approach is letting me remove certain pressures from my thinking and allowing me to get out of my own way.  I am still, in many ways, as frustrated and stifled as before, but I can, at the very least, find a way to move beyond that in order to write.  I appreciate that, even if it does not make things better in a larger sense.  At the very least, perhaps I will be able to get myself to bed a bit earlier as a result, though I do believe it will also help me creatively.  I certainly felt that way in my work tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: Neighborhood Inhabitants

A Writer's Notebook, One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-And-Seventy-Three

A Writer's Notebook, Day One-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Thirty-Three